Are you ready to try Monat? Whether Monat samples were sent to you or ordered via our sample site, you should find this information helpful. If you were directed here by another market partner, make sure to contact him or her when you have questions or when you are ready to get started.
A Different Type of Shampoo
The one thing you must know is that Monat is different. Our ingredients, our standards, how our products work. I say it all the time; you can’t get different results following old processes or using your old products. So, throw out what you previously knew about hair products and how to use them. Your hair doesn’t “used to” a shampoo, and you probably don’t have to wash your hair every day.
What Makes Monat Different
The majority of hair products are topical products that work on the surface. They coat the hair, often using a heavy silicone or petroleum-based product, and produce the desired result. They provide quick results through a simple process. But, the results are temporary.
Monat contains powerful, naturally based ingredients. The most important, in my opinion, is rejuveniqe oil. As we age, we produce less and less of our natural oils and often remove these with our daily use of hair and body products. Rejuveniqe oil is a blend of 13+ unique ingredients, including Abyssinian oil, antioxidants, beta-carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Pure oils are lightweight, absorb quickly, and leave the skin and hair with a natural healthy glow. Rejuveniqe is so compatible with our hair and skin that it can easily absorb without greasiness and replenish the hair and scalp with much-needed nourishment. For this reason, rejuveniqe comes in your sample set. Rejuvenique oil is infused into most of our products, even “the champ” conditioning dry shampoo. I’ll explain below how to do a rejuveniqe oil treatment on your hair and scalp.
Did you know the majority of shampoos are mostly water? Do you feel like you are saving money by getting colossal gallon size bottles? Monat shampoos are highly concentrated using a USP Pharmacopeia grade water. So, you can use less for each wash, a dime to quarter size amount. An 8-ounce bottle of Monat lasts me twice as long as those old gallon bottles I was buying!
For this reason, you will need to add water. We’ll discuss it below. But, remember always to add water, emulsify your shampoo, and rinse well.
Hair Spa Experience
To be clear, few people have time for a 5-product hair wash, and I don’t expect you to do this every time! A typical wash with Monat is shampoo and conditioner only. But the Monat samples you received are considered a “hair spa” and designed to give you the absolute best results.
There is no perfect way to sample these products, and results come with continued use. But, this set of samples should give you a good experience. Here are some tips for setting you up for success.
Monat Sample-Step One-Rejuveniqe Oil
Before you shampoo next:
- Take the Rejuvenique oil sample, poke a hole in the foil packet, use the tips of your fingers with drops of oil on them to massage the oil into your scalp.
- Do this 5 or 6 times and until you’ve added oil to all the areas of your scalp.
- Use the rest of the packet on your hair strands, focusing on the ends. Work it into your hair strands until they feel greasy, but not dripping. You can use the whole packet if needed.
- Brush the oil into your hair down to the ends. Put your hair up in a damage-free hair tie. Don’t worry, if you give it 10 or 15 minutes to soak in, it won’t transfer to your clothing or pillow.
- Go to sleep while the oil works! Or, if you are a night washer or just not a planner, you can do this treatment anytime before you use Monat shampoo. Just let the oil work its magic for 30 minutes before washing it out.
***I think this step is essential. But, if you are too skeptical about trying or don’t believe me, then just wash! Save the oil for your skin or cuticles and move on to step 2.
Monat Sample-Step 2-Shampoo
After the oil treatment:
- In the shower, get your hair soaking wet. If you have thick hair, you may new to section it to do so. Make sure it is dripping wet.
- Grab your first wash shampoo. For your first wash, my recommendation is the Black shampoo. It’s from our men’s line but isn’t just for men. It’s clarifying, great for scalp health, and a universal shampoo. I recommended this because it will help remove the build-up left behind from your old hair products.
- Use a nickel to quarter size amount depending on hair thickness and length. Work the shampoo into a lather in your hands before applying to your hair. Focus on your scalp. Leave in for 1-2 minutes before you rinse.
- Rinse well. When you feel like you’ve rinsed it all, rinse again. If you have thick hair, you may need to part it into sections and rinse each area.
***During the first wash, the shampoo will not lather much. Don’t worry; the product is working correctly. The first wash is going to rid your hair of build-up and environmental toxins.
Monat Sample-Step 3-Shampoo
After your first shampoo:
Yes, you’re going to shampoo again. Monat is sulfate-free, and you will always wash twice with Monat (whether you wash every day or once a week).
- Grab your second shampoo, usually Revive or Renew, depending on your hair type.
- Reapply a quarter size amount just as you did before. This time you should experience whipped cream-like lather!
- If you don’t get a great lather, go ahead and rinse after a minute and lather again with a quarter-sized portion. You need to shampoo until you get a lather.
- Always let the shampoo sit on your scalp for at least a minute.
- Rinse well just as with your first wash (rinse, rinse, rinse).
- Squeeze some of the water out of your hair.
***If your hair begins to feel sticky or tangled at this point, that’s normal. The stickiness may be environmental, or product builds up coming off the hair. In addition to that, these naturally-based products don’t contain waxy substances to coat the hair and give it a false sense of slip. After you get a bubbly lather and rinse, your hair may be naked for the first time in a while. The conditioning agents you use next will add that feeling of slip back.
Monat Sample-Step 4-Masque and Conditioner
After your two shampoos and a bubbly lather:
- Apply a quarter-size amount to the masque to the ends of your hair. In other words, from the ears down or the area that would make up your ponytail.
- The masque should feel like butter, soft greasy, but not goopy.
- To save time, apply a nickel-quarter size amount of the conditioner, right on top of the masque, from root to tip. If you do this, there is no need to rinse the masque before applying the conditioner.
- It’s best to use a conditioner with or after a hair masque. I’ll save you the details on pH and when the hair cuticle closes. Just know you need to seal it in.
- Leave both of those on for a minimum of 2 minutes, longer if you can (5-10 minutes is ideal).
- Rinse as if your life depends on it.
- Towel dry your hair by wringing or blotting, not rubbing. Try not using styling products after this experience, so you can see just how awesome your hair is.
***A hair masque is a once a week treatment, and you should get at least two uses out of the sample pack.
One Wash Miracle?
All and all, this process could take under 5 minutes in the shower and leave your hair feeling soft. Again, you may experience some tangling after shampooing. Typically, that stickiness environmental and product build-up coming off the hair. And, without the silicones, your hair will be less slippery. That’s okay.
I have a feeling that you were expecting to see a massive difference from a single wash. I hope you did! But, everyone’s experience is different, and depending on your current products and the state of your hair, it may take longer. Your hair may even go through a healing process (sticky roots/ dry ends/etc.) DO NOT WORRY. Sampling is more about feeling, touching, smelling the products, and trying the wash process. Results come with continued use.
The BEST way to sample
Hands down, the best way to sample Monat is to use it consistently for at least 30 days. Did you know that Monat has a 30-day money-back guarantee? From the day your products arrive, you can use them as often as you want, finish the whole bottle if you desire, and then send them back within 30 days for a refund (minus shipping).
I hope you found this information helpful. I hear people say they “didn’t see a difference” with their sample or that the sample made their hair feeling tangly. My first thought is that the Market Partner failed in providing proper education. Monat is a great product line. But, when you are different, you’re often misunderstood. It’s my job and mission to educate, counsel, and troubleshoot with you, so you get the best results.
Have you used your samples yet? Make sure to reach out when you do, and send me some feedback. I hope to hear from you soon!